Crash site of Wellington W5719 on Kinder Scout

‹ Return to

Wellington W5719

Wellington bomber W5719 was returning from a raid on Köln when it crashed into the crags of Kinder Scout in the Peak District, England, 31 July 1941.

All crew except one died in the crash. Sergeant Earl Tilley was the tail turret gunner which was flung clear of the bomber when it exploded on hitting the ground. He was able to make his way down to Edale for help.

In PEAKLAND AIR CRASHES – THE NORTH, Pat Cunningham says the Wellington did not drop its bombs as planned, but returned towards RAF Snaith near Goole in Yorkshire, having aborted the mission due to being unable to find the target in cloud covered Germany.

Due to low cloud over Northern England, the pilot overshot the base and crashed while believing to be still 2000 feet above sea level. The bombs exploded on impact, hurling the tail turret and Sergeant Tilley down into Grindsbrook Clough. Of the 7 other aircraft on that raid, all dropped their bombs, but one failed to make it home, crashing after crossing the English Channel.

One source says W5719 had successfully dropped its bombs. The Lost Bombers database states the Wellington “returned early due adverse weather.”

Crew killed;
Sergeant Percival Harold Charles Parrott, pilot
Sergeant Joseph Arthur Haswell, (supernumerary) second pilot
Sergeant Jack Douglas Evelle, navigator (Canadian)
Sergeant Frederick Kenneth Webber, wireless operator/air gunner
Sergeant Dennis Aloysius Monk, air gunner

9 comments on “Crash site of Wellington W5719 on Kinder Scout
  1. Kingsdude/Dave says:

    Some escape story from the tail gunner Ian

  2. Ian D B says:

    Yeah, it’s amazing how he just walked away from it. Keep reading of other incidents like this, always astounds me how some survived by just milimetres – like Pte Leon Wilson in Afghanistan.

  3. redrocker_9 says:

    This is a great shot and love all of the information you give with this.

  4. b_drover says:

    The tail gunner was my grandfather…..after that he ended up in Nazi prison camp. He saved the lives of many people there by making them potbelly stoves out of the corned beef cans that they had. They would have frozen to death if not for those. He never ate corned beef again, he wouldn’t even have it in the house. He also helped organize a breakout and escape from the prison camp with a bunch of Australians. He was a great man, he never wanted the medals they gave him and he wouldn’t tell his stories. There is a book about him and other men and all of his old war buddies told his stories for him. It blows my mind the things they did back then, he was younger then i am now.

    there is another story about a bet involving a gold watch and a mouse…but that is another story

    • Colin Moore says:

      I’d be interested in getting a copy of that book as my Grandmother’s cousin, Dennis Monk, was killed in this crash. Could you possibly tell me what the book is called?

  5. Ian D B says:

    Great stuff. They were an incredible generation of men and women.

  6. d morley says:

    Sgt Dennis Aloysius Monk was my great uncle.

  7. Chris Tilley says:

    b_drover … I wonder whether I could ask your more about your grandfather? I share the same surname as your grandfather and, coincendially am a very regular visitor to Kinder Scout. I know Grindsbrook Clough very well indeed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *