Airspeed Oxford HN594, Brown Knoll, Edale, England.

‹ Return to

Airspeed Oxford HN594, Brown Knoll, Edale

The second of two Oxfords to crash near to each other in 1945 in similar circumstances, resulting in the survival of all on board (thanks to the bravery of one man).

December 28 1945. With the war over, two airmen who’d served in South Africa were on a navigation exercise to familiarise themselves with flying twin engined aircraft in a British winter.

Instructor Warrant Officer Robinson had just taken control during the handover. Cunningham says that both trainees had expressed concern at the height of 1,000 feet on the altimeter, knowing that there was higher ground in the vicinity. Warrant Officer Robinson “…merely laughed at their apprehensions, assuring them that he knew the area like the back of his hand.”

They could have been famous last words, as the plane crashed at that moment, but fortunately he or Flying Officer Croker had just pulled back on the stick to gain height regardless of how well he knew the area, or the back of his hand. The effect of lifting the nose caused HN594 to hit the hill flat – and crucially there was no fire.

The crew were badly injured in the crash and Warrant Officer Robinson later had a leg amputated. Croker was severely injured but managed an agonising epic crawl down the hillside on all fours to get help, having first wrapped his badly injured mates up in parachutes. Somehow they managed to survive the night, and were found the following day.

After the war, George Robinson made a pilgrimage up to the crash site every year. Ted Croker went on to play football for Charlton Athletic and later was secretary for the Football Asssociation. He’s the man responsible for the Charity Shield game. While his bravery on Brown Knoll won him a King’s Commendation for Brave Conduct, a fallout with Margaret Thatcher over football hooliganism possibly cost him a knighthood. Ted Croker died on Christmas Day 1992 aged 68.

Warrant Officer George Robinson, pilot, instructor
Flying Officer John E Dowthwaite, pilot on course
Flying Officer Edward A Croker, pilot on course


Peakland Air Crashes – the North, P Cunningham 2006

Site visit June 2020


Video of news report of the reunion posted by grandson of John Dowthwaite (please see his comment below).

The Independent on Sunday…
Obituary: Ted Croker

Tuesday 29 December 1992 01:02

Edgar Alfred Croker, football administrator, player and businessman, born Kingston-upon-Thames 13 February 1924, Chairman and Managing Director Liner-Croker Ltd 1961-73, Chairman Liner Concrete Machinery Co Ltd 1971-73, Secretary and Chief Executive Football Association 1973-89, married 1952 Kathleen Mullins (one son, two daughters), died Cheltenham 25 December 1992.

AT A TIME when football faced even more problems than it does today but had the additional disadvantage of dealing with a largely hostile government, Ted Croker took on both in his role as the Football Association’s secretary from 1973 to 1989. He tackled them with determination, optimism and mixed success. Memories of this most urbane and good- humoured of football administrators will be diminished or enhanced depending on whether one remark to Margaret Thatcher is interpreted as brave or misjudged.

After the Heysel Stadium disaster in Brussels, Thatcher called together a group of football officials and others closely associated with the game and asked what football was going to do about its hooligans. According to Croker, she seemed ready to have professional football banned altogether. While others timidly kept their opinions to themselves, Croker remarked: ‘We don’t want this made public, but these people are society’s problems and we don’t want your hooligans in our sport, prime minister.’

It was said that the reply could easily have been the last straw as far as the prime minister’s patience in football was concerned and certainly it was not until the arrival of John Major, a football fan, that relationships with Downing Street recovered. Croker himself always maintained that the meeting served to confirm Thatcher’s own lack of understanding of what was happening to the national sport, but most people felt that he had scored a significant own goal. Significantly, too, his predecessors received knighthoods while he did not.

Throughout his time at Lancaster Gate, the FA’s London headquarters, Croker was regularly criticised for failing to grasp footballing matters as well as he understood their commercial aspects, but it was partly for his background in industry and quiet manner that he was taken on as secretary after many years in which his predecessor but one, Sir Stanley Rous, had dominated the FA and football in England generally.

At the time of his appointment, the FA had an income from business enterprises of only pounds 24,000 a year and needed someone who had a football background but above all could realise the potential of a sport moving into the television and sponsorship age without any real idea how to sell its assets, especially the FA Cup and international matches, without losing credibility. While showing them the way (when he retired the FA had reserves of some pounds 3m), Croker always refused to allow the FA Cup to be sponsored because he said it would immediately ‘lose the magic’.

His own football career was hardly impressive but fulfilled the FA’s requirements. He was a qualified coach and played as a defender for Charlton Athletic, admittedly more often for the reserves than the first team, but his career was ruined by injuries, including those received when he was an RAF flying instructor.

He had joined the RAF at 18, soon after leaving technical college in Surrey. In 1945 he was involved in a crash in the Pennines and broke both ankles. Nevertheless, in freezing conditions he crawled to get help for his colleagues and was subsequently awarded the King’s Commendation for Brave Conduct. He resumed his football career and made eight first-team appearances in 1950-51 for Charlton as a defender, only to be recalled to the RAF during the Korean war. He later played for Headington.

His successful business career was in engineering. His company made snow movers and machinery for the ready-mixed concrete industry but eventually he sold out and was left free to apply when the FA advertised for a successor to Denis Follows.

When he arrived at the FA, England had just failed to qualify for the World Cup and the manager, Sir Alf Ramsey, was already being severely criticised. Although he was a member of the committee that sacked Ramsey, Croker played no significant part in the decision. However, he was more involved in the appointment of Don Revie, a controversial choice eventually leading to considerable disagreements within the FA and a far from amicable parting.

The problem of hooliganism remained with him all through his tenure as secretary. He presided over the abandoning of the annual match between England and Scotland, the oldest international fixture of all, and in his time the home international championship itself was abandoned. When the Heysel tragedy occurred he was involved in the decision to withdraw English clubs from European cup competitions.

Towards the end of his career he suffered from ill-health and he retired after Graham Kelly became the FA’s chief executive in 1989.

15 comments on “Airspeed Oxford HN594, Brown Knoll, Edale, England.
  1. Billy Currie says:

    Superb information, you should write a book on these

  2. Lazenby43 says:

    Facinating story. I remember Croker for football.

  3. andyholmfirth says:

    I never knew that about Ted Croker who was such a familiar face on the footy tv as a kid.Hell of a story Ian.

  4. Tech Owl says:

    Yes good research – this looks a scenic area and having been for a small tour now I can see just how much is out there!

  5. Ian D B says:

    Thanks all. Yeah, it’s grand country.

  6. pasujoba says:

    Yeah , its a fantastic story Ian . How do you find out all the info in such depth.

  7. pasujoba says:

    8 months on and I now know how . Lots of time and effort , reading and trawling the internet. Well worth doing though .

  8. Ian D B says:

    yeah, never replied did I? And now you know!

  9. John Edwards says:

    My Grandfather was Flight Lieutenant John Dowthwaite. I would just like to add, that there was never any discrepancy over who was flying at the time of the accident. It was Warrant Officer Greg Robinson who was flying and he has always said it was he who was the pilot at the time. There is also no evidence that Croker broke either of his ankles. This appears to be an embellishment on the part of the media. Ted Croker had severely sprained his ankles, according to my Grandfather, and was able to visit them in hospital without any walking aids.

    There was a Look North Reunion of the three survivors in 1983, if anyone is interested, which I am uploading to youtube and should be ready for viewing by this evening.

    John Edwards

    • Ian D B says:

      Hi John, thank you very much for your comment and for the video link which I’ve just watched and added to the main narrative.

      Very interesting that. I noted the comment in the Independent re; Ted Croker breaking his ankles and indeed was interested to hear him say it himself in the video! It’s also interesting to see how news crews record these things, the interviewer doing several poses and asking repeat questions for the benefit of the editor.

      Good to clear up the matter of who was in control at the time of the crash. Not sure where I read that it was unknown who was at the helm but have removed that reference now.

      Also have just noticed that when I added this page back in 2009, I never added a crew list, so have amended that as well.


    • Andrew Croker says:

      Hi John, Andrew Croker here, Ted’s son. Astonished to discover and see this video for the first time – thank you so much for posting. I’m ashamed to say it has taken this long for me to arrange to visit the site. I’m finally going later this month with my son, also Ted. Hoping to walk to site and recreate his journey. Andrew Croker

      • John Edwards says:

        Hi, Andrew. Fantastic to hear you will be visiting and with Ted Jr! I have the entire uncut versions of the interviews with little bits of additional footage if you would like them I can arrange a link for you to download them?

        I am hoping to visit the site this year. Sorry I haven’t seen your reply until now.

        All the best, John

  10. Brian Canfer says:

    Broken or badly sprained ankles are still very disabling & Ted did an amazing job! The RAF Harpur Hill MRT that took the 3 crew to hospital also did well. The RAF doctor who lead the Team, David Crichton, went on to be an Air Commodore. There are still 3 RAF MRTs in operation today. I have the privilege of being Archivist to the RAF Mountain Rescue Association and this rescue is just being added to our archive.

    • Ian D B says:

      He did indeed, it was a Herculian effort!

    • John Edwards says:

      Absolutely! I in no way mean to detract from the heroic job that Ted Croker did of making his way to civilisation to raise the alarm. He was certainly painfully injured and incapacitated and his monumental efforts should be, and are, acknowledged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *