This eagle’s head was originally part of a sculpture atop the airport building – a Nazi eagle with a globe in its claws. The head was taken as a trophy by US forces in 1962 and returned to the city in 1985.
The airport dates from the 1920s but was rebuilt by architect Ernst Sagebiel in 1935, complete with the 4.5 m high eagle.
Below; Another Nazi eagle, this one carved in stone on the airport building, the swastika in its claws long since removed. The eagle sculpture in the lead photo above stood on the plinth visible in centre of the terminal building.